The Rebus Foundation is a Montreal-based non-profit focused on tech, books, open education and open culture. We are looking for a Marketing Manager, with 3-5 years relevant experience, to start a new role in July 2018 or soon after. The job is at the Rebus Foundation HQ, in Montreal. Salary is in the range of CDN$65,000-75,000.
We have two main projects:
- Rebus Community, a collaboration platform that helps guide communities through the publishing process, with a focus on supporting open textbook/Open Educational Resource (OER) publishing
- Rebus Reader, an open web platform for scholarly reading
Rebus is born of an idealistic vision of the web, and we believe in increasing access to knowledge and education. We love books, and spend our time reimagining how books can be made and used in a web-connected, digital universe, then trying to build things to make these re-imaginings come true. We believe in the power of technology, done right, to do good things, and ultimately we believe in giving people more access to tools to help them build, share and interact with knowledge. We are driven by this broad set of values, and it’s important that new team members share our sense of purpose.
As Marketing Manager, your mandate will be to develop, refine and implement marketing and communications strategies for both our two projects. You’ll be doing a broad range of marketing stuff, including, but not limited to: content marketing, blogging and community engagement (in person and on social media). We don’t have a massive marketing budget, so a lot of your role will be finding creative ways to reach and engage specific audiences. You should also:
- Be at home connecting with the higher ed community, including professors, academic librarians, scholars and students
- Be comfortable with open source as a concept, technology as a product, Creative Commons licenses, and web collaboration as an ideal
- Be excited at the prospect of building new things, and (self)-managing the chaos that sometimes comes with new things
- Be a self-starter, who can do the right things in a small team
Ideally, you should also have an understanding of and/or experience with some of the following:
- Books and/or publishing
- Technology and/or start-ups
- Open Access / OER / Open licensing
- Academia / academic institutions
- Nonprofits / community-driven organisations
- Online mass collaboration (e.g. Wikimedia)
Note: you should apply even if you don’t feel that your credentials are a 100% match with the position description. We are looking for relevant skills and experience, not a checklist that exactly matches the position itself.
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
Rebus is committed to building a diverse team, with people from a range of backgrounds. We believe that diverse teams help drive innovation. Equity, inclusion and diversity are core values for us, for the technologies we build and the communities we support. We strive to ensure that our team reflects these values. Our work environment is also supportive of those with family caregiving responsibilities.
Please send an email to: email@example.com with the subject line “Marketing Manager”. We encourage you to apply by June 30th, 2018 for a tentative start date of August 1st, but are flexible on timing for the right person.
Please include your CV, links to relevant things, and an explanation of why you’d like to join us.