About Rebus Foundation
The Rebus Foundation is a registered charity, established in April of 2016 with the mandate to reimagine the publishing ecosystem based on open principles. Rebus is a mission driven organization with a strong and active commitment to serving the scholarly research and higher education communities in innovative, responsive ways. We are a small team with a family-friendly work culture and respect for work/personal life balance, and work to continuously improve our practices, prioritising the well being of our team.
We’re looking for
Rebus Foundation is seeking a business development manager who will create and implement a strategy to grow customers and revenue for a soon-to-be-released software. The software, Rebus Ink, is a web-based reading and research tool designed for academic researchers. We are looking for someone who has experience in B2C and/or B2B SaaS sales. Bonus points if you’ve worked with institutions in higher education, research and/or libraries. You will work with the project lead and product manager to define the company’s overall business strategy with the goal of growing our user base. Rebus Ink requires a person who is ready to take on a leadership role, who has an entrepreneurial mind-set, and who is comfortable collaborating with a small team of passionate, mission-driven people. This is a new role, so there is a great opportunity available for someone to shape and grow the position, and help to establish the project’s direction.
Rebus Ink is a digital research workflow application that helps researchers read, ideate, and write more efficiently. As an open-source tool, Rebus Ink aims to connect disparate pieces of the existing research tool ecosystem, allowing users to execute more streamlined workflows. We are committed to undertaking our work while following open standards, and prioritizing user privacy and control. In parallel, we promote innovative digital research and publishing practices, and behave as good actors in the scholarly communications ecosystem, working closely with individual scholars and researchers, as well as libraries, aggregators, and publishers.
- Develop and execute a sales and growth strategy
- Formulate strategy for product launch
- Build & validate pricing models for various revenue streams (B2C and B2B SaaS)
- Research and assess validity of alternative/creative revenue streams
- Develop and manage strategic partnerships with partners and other aligned non-profit organizations
- Work with the product manager and the project lead to define marketing and sales strategies
- Help hire and manage future team members
- Coordinate with members of teams from other Rebus Foundation projects to share resources when necessary
At least a few of the following should apply:
- You take initiative and can be an essential member of a leadership team
- You have at least 3-5 years of business strategy and sales experience
- You have experience launching and scaling a SaaS product
- You are creative and excited to try new ways of doing things
- You have knowledge of the higher education industry and/or scholarly communications
- You have experience collecting and using data to perform analysis and make decisions
- You are an excellent written and verbal communicator
- You are mission-driven and can align business goals with charitable goals
We are looking for people with a range of experiences and ideas, who can bring fresh perspectives and guidance to our team. Even if you do not check off all the above points, we encourage you to apply. Give us a sense of who you are and why you want to work with us. Your application will be given the care and consideration it deserves.
Rebus Foundation is headquartered in Montreal, though the team is currently remote. The successful candidate can work at headquarters once that becomes a possibility, or work remotely on a permanent basis. The position is planned to be full time, but given the current pressures, particularly on those with caregiving duties, we do not wish this to be a barrier to the right candidates. If you believe you are qualified but are unable to commit to a full time workload at this time, please apply and indicate that you would like to explore different ways of structuring the role (with a minimum of 20 hours per week and the likelihood of increasing hours over the coming 6-12 months, as conditions permit).
Compensation: CA$55,000 to CA$65,000 based on experience
Benefits & Workplace Culture
Rebus is committed to building a diverse team, with people from a range of backgrounds and experiences. We believe that diverse teams help drive innovation. Equity, inclusion, and diversity are core values for us, for the technologies we build, and the communities we support. We strive to ensure that our team reflects these values. Some of the ways in which we commit to those values include:
- Maintaining a work environment that is supportive of those with caregiving responsibilities
- Offering generous leave allocations, including mental health, volunteer and protest leave
- Offering broad flexibility in working hours
Please send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Subject: [Application] Business Development Manager
Please include a CV, any relevant links, and an explanation of why you’d like to join us.