About Rebus Foundation
The Rebus Foundation is a registered charity, established in 2016 with the mandate to reimagine the publishing ecosystem based on open principles. Rebus is a mission driven organization with a strong and active commitment to serving the scholarly research and higher education communities in innovative, responsive ways. We are a small team with a family-friendly work culture and respect for work/personal life balance, and work to continuously improve our practices, prioritising the well being of our team.
We’re looking for
Rebus Foundation is seeking a front-end developer to join our small and ambitious team in developing and launching our soon-to-be-released software platform. The software, Rebus Ink, is a web-based reading and research tool designed for academic researchers. You will be responsible for designing, developing, maintaining and testing user-facing features as well as enhancing our existing feature set. You will be joining a group of highly motivated and bright individuals all working together to proudly get Rebus Ink out there!
Rebus Ink is a digital research workflow application that helps researchers read, ideate, and write more efficiently. As an open-source tool, Rebus Ink aims to connect disparate pieces of the existing research tool ecosystem, allowing users to execute more streamlined workflows. We are committed to undertaking our work while following open standards, and prioritizing user privacy and control. In parallel, we promote innovative digital research and publishing practices, and behave as good actors in the scholarly communications ecosystem, working closely with individual scholars and researchers, as well as libraries, aggregators, and publishers.
- Ensure proper maintainability of our code to improve the software platform
- Collaborate with Product Manager and other developers to improve both design and overall usability
- Work closely with Product Manager to problem solve and provide input guided by technical expertise
- Provide feedback, make suggestions and be a valuable resource and voice during collaborative discussions about the project, and its overall direction
- Experience working on single page applications
- You are familiar with the open source/free software ethos
- You are a quick learner and are comfortable tackling new challenges (learning new frameworks, coding languages, content management systems, integrations like Auth0)
- You have a strong and in depth knowledge of best development practices (maintainable and readable code, comfortable with code reviews, and ongoing integrations)
- You stay up to date with the latest technologies, especially within the realm of web development
- You have great attention to detail, and hold the quality of your work as your number one priority
- You are able to seek out and quickly problem solve for bugs and issues independently
- You consistently hit your deadlines and are comfortable communicating if/when they need adjusting
- You are excited about the opportunity to work on a project that will involve both quick prototyping as well as working on a clean and finished product
- You have solid knowledge of web accessibility standards and prioritise implementing them in your work
Nice to haves
- A proven track record or experience in UX design work (if you do, we’d love to see your portfolio!)
- You have knowledge and/or experience working with the Svelte framework
- Knowledge of publishing and/or research technologies
- Experience with SQL or Postgres queries and databases is a plus
We are looking for people with a range of experiences and ideas, who can bring fresh perspectives and guidance to our team. Even if you do not check off all the above points, we encourage you to apply. Give us a sense of who you are and why you want to work with us. Your application will be given the care and consideration it deserves.
Rebus Foundation is headquartered in Montreal, though the team is currently remote. The successful candidate can work at headquarters once that becomes a possibility, or work remotely on a permanent basis.
Compensation: CA$60,000 to CA$80,000 based on experience.
Benefits & Workplace Culture
Rebus is committed to building a diverse team, with people from a range of backgrounds and experiences. We believe that diverse teams help drive innovation. Equity, inclusion, and diversity are core values for us, for the technologies we build, and the communities we support. We strive to ensure that our team reflects these values. Some of the ways in which we commit to those values include:
- Maintaining a work environment that is supportive of those with caregiving responsibilities
- Offering generous leave allocations, including mental health, volunteer and protest leave
- Offering broad flexibility in working hours
Please send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Subject: [Application] Front-end developer
Please include a CV and any relevant links (portfolios) to previous work. The completion of a test may be requested after the first round of interviews.
Applications should be submitted by February 28, 2021.