About Rebus Foundation
The Rebus Foundation is a registered charity, established in April of 2016 with the mandate to reimagine the publishing ecosystem based on open principles. Rebus is a mission driven organization with a strong and active commitment to serving the scholarly research and higher education communities in innovative, responsive ways. We are a small team with a family-friendly work culture and respect for work/personal life balance, and work to continuously improve our practices, prioritising the well being of our team.
We’re looking for
Rebus Foundation is seeking a content marketing specialist who will play a pivotal role in the launch and growth of a soon-to-be-released software. The software, Rebus Ink, is a web-based reading and research tool designed for academic researchers. We are looking for someone who has demonstrable experience in writing, editing, and running day-to-day communications via social media, blogs and newsletters. Bonus points if you’ve worked with institutions in higher education, research and/or libraries. You will work with the project lead and business development manager to design and implement the company’s communications strategy with the goal of growing our user base and contributing to the wider open research movement. We’re a wordy bunch with a lot to say, and this role is essential to making our presence known in an exciting space.
Rebus Ink is a digital research workflow application that helps researchers read, ideate, and write more efficiently. As an open-source tool, Rebus Ink aims to connect disparate pieces of the existing research tool ecosystem, allowing users to execute more streamlined workflows. We are committed to undertaking our work while following open standards, and prioritizing user privacy and control. In parallel, we promote innovative digital research and publishing practices, and behave as good actors in the scholarly communications ecosystem, working closely with individual scholars and researchers, as well as libraries, aggregators, and publishers.
- Work with the project lead and business development manager to define the project’s communications and marketing strategies, including for product launch
- Design and implement creative content campaigns that bring value to users and the project
- Manage core communications channels (i.e. social media & newsletter)
- Promote project activities (e.g. user recruitment efforts, ambassador programs, user research opportunities, conference appearances etc.)
- Establish the “voice” of the product/organisation and create copy for public-facing channels
- Develop extensive understanding of the open research ecosystem and tailor content strategies to contribute back to the open community
- Support business development and product managers as needed with copy/assets/documentation
- Coordinate with members of teams from other Rebus Foundation projects to share resources when necessary
At least a few of the following should apply:
- You are an excellent writer and strong editor
- You take initiative and can be an essential member of a small team
- You have at least 2-3 years of content marketing experience
- You are creative and excited to try new ways of doing things
- You have knowledge of the higher education industry and/or scholarly communications
- You have experience collecting and using data to perform analysis and make decisions
- You are bilingual (English & French) and capable of creating quality content in both (preferred, but not essential)
- You are mission-driven and can align business goals with charitable goals
- You have experience with digital marketing/SEO industry programs, such as Google Analytics or Adobe Analytics
- You are familiar with WordPress or other content management systems, and social media scheduling and analytics tools
We are looking for people with a range of experiences and ideas, who can bring fresh perspectives and guidance to our team. Even if you do not check off all the above points, we encourage you to apply. Give us a sense of who you are and why you want to work with us. Your application will be given the care and consideration it deserves.
Rebus Foundation is headquartered in Montreal, though the team is currently remote. The successful candidate can work at headquarters once that becomes a possibility, or work remotely on a permanent basis.
Note: This is a full time position (40 hours per week), but we do not wish the current pressures of the COVID-19 pandemic, especially on those with caregiving duties, to be a barrier to the right candidate. If you are qualified but are unable to commit to a full time workload immediately, please apply and indicate that you would like to begin in a part time capacity (minimum 25-30 hours per week) and increase hours over the next 6-12 months as conditions permit. We will consider your application on equal footing with those able to commit immediately to full time work.
Compensation (full time): CA$45,000 to CA$55,000 based on experience.
Benefits & Workplace Culture
Rebus is committed to building a diverse team, with people from a range of backgrounds and experiences. We believe that diverse teams help drive innovation. Equity, inclusion, and diversity are core values for us, for the technologies we build, and the communities we support. We strive to ensure that our team reflects these values. Some of the ways in which we commit to those values include offering:
- a work environment that is supportive of those with caregiving responsibilities
- generous leave allocations, including mental health, volunteer and protest leave
- broad flexibility in working hours
- health & dental benefits
Please send an email to: email@example.com
Subject: [Application] Content Marketing Specialist
Please include your CV, a cover letter explaining why you’d like to join us, and any relevant links to previous work (a writing sample may be requested after the first round of interviews).
Applications should be submitted by February 13, 2021.
Please note that applications that do not contain a cover letter will be reviewed at a lower priority.